Friday, February 19, 2010

Sierra Vista Classic Loop

I haven't done a long road ride in quite awhile, and with the notion of participating in the Sierra Vista Bicycle Classic rattling around in my head, it seemed like a good idea to assess my blacktop endurance. So today I cycled most of the SVBC course, covering a 62-mile loop to Bisbee and back in 5:09 (4:31 moving). Tour de France cyclists are not losing any sleep over this, I know, but I felt pretty good about it all things considered: 30+ pound bike with 47c tires and cargo rack, and 20-mph headwinds on much of the return trip.

With less than a month to go before the event, there's not a lot of time for training. Best bet might be to do a few more rides with the stem and/or bars inverted to get accustomed to a more aero position.

Looking at the map and cue sheet, SVBC riders will go through rather than over the Mule Pass Tunnel. Probably a good idea, given the current state of Old Divide Road:

 

I didn't take too many pics today, but I couldn't resist snapping this sign, located on the south side of the Mule Mountains along Highway 92:

No comments: