Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Morning Ride: Perimeter Practice Session


Returned to Perimeter trail this morning for some remedial work amongst the gardens of rock. I wasn't particularly systematic about it, just toiled up the rocky approach from the Carr Canyon trailhead and noodled around for a while, the idea being to dull my aversion to the nasty tire traps of the trail. I'm still experimenting with gearing. It's a dilemma: lower gears provide ready thrust for overcoming sticky spots, but higher gears let me steer with greater precision and confidence. It probably boils down to momentum. If I can pick a line far enough in advance to avoid slowing down on approach to an obstacle, I can stay in the higher gear that I prefer. Or I need to buy another bike, one with suspension. Nah. I'll figure this out.

No comments: